Saturday, May 27, 2006

Graduation

In my previous life (before children)...I taught sixth grade...which I did for 4 years after graduation. Loved it loved it loved it. Today, my last class (of sixth graders) graduated today. I received a couple of invitations from this class..to attend..which was exciting for me..b/c many of whom I have not seen since they walked across the stage at their Sixth Grade Graduation. And then there is the fact that they "located my mailing address".

I look different..they look different..life has changed in six years..but I can not tell you how WILD it was to introduce myself to some of them..they had blank looks on their face..until I told them I taught them in sixth grade..then all "heck" broke loose.

One girl dropped to the floor in excitment to see me. One girl started crying. Many of them rushed to see me when the "news" spread that I was there. It was crazy. It took me an hour and a half to go through the receiving line.. well well worth it.

It is like life came full circle..and there I was..among my sweet little sixth graders again. Except now they are 18..and on their way to bigger things.

This was the class I taught when I got pregnant with my first. They were so smart..and so much fun. They threw me a surprise baby shower one day..inviting my husband and all to show up at school..they pitched in and bought me a "Day at the Spa" before my due date. They were responsible for buying a pack and play, oodles of diapers, a bouncy seat..these kids were and are amazing. The biggest question I got today was.."How is your baby?"..which I thought was funny b/c they knew me when ..well..I was about to have a baby..and well..now that baby is almost 6..it was like time stood still... As a teacher you click with some classes more than others..and these guys were so great.

Teaching is one of the best things about my life.

All my love Class of 2006.

No comments: