Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Ball Buster.

So a very talented and very dear friend of mine was given a dose of honesty yesterday from someone that works with her. It is even hard to call it honest..it is more like an opinion. It was quite harsh..and in my opinion a bit too bold.

My point?

Have you ever been on a good role..and feeling great about what you are doing..people are responding..and then someone you need on your side..kicks you behind the knees. What is the motivation of these types of people? What do they gain?

My other point?

How does one keep their confidence in a mean world? When you say you are confident?.. Are you always confident?..or are you just confident until someone you respect tells you ...(they think) you screwed up? I have to say in a weirdo kind of way..I am glad people have resisted me or my ideas at times. Not that I enjoy being told NO. But I am motivated by disappointment...I am motivated by approval too..you absolutely have to hear good things about your work..but I feel like the good and the real bad strikes a balance in your head.

I don't trust people who are always confident no matter what. I just DO NOT believe them. I think it is odd when people say they have been "told off" and it rolled off their back. Now I know there are components..like "who tells you off"...I am stricktly speaking of "when it matters".

My advice to my friend?

Continue along. Remember your value. Be aware of people's motivations. Stay true to your ideas..bending when you need to..but no back flips just to make someone happy. Remember this feeling...it keeps you balanced. It makes you better. It sucks..but I promise it makes you better.

No comments: